I’m a Swedish Archaeologist who has specialised in the Prehistory (Stone and Bronze Age)of the Baltic Islands Åland and Gotland and Archaeology of the Pacific with special focus on Rapa Nui (Easter Island) and Samoa.
I have a broad experience of archaeology and cultural heritage management in these both settings and I have worked with contract archaeology, as museum curator, researcher and university lecturer. My interest in archaeology and my curiosity of past material achievements was inspired at young age when I saw runic stone monument every day walking to school. I have since mainly directed my research towards monuments and landscapes to understand the long-time dynamics and complex societies. I would label myself a semi-empirical researcher where I consider the material remains to be a foundation for archaeological research and important to analyse in various ways using methods from natural science but equally important is to understand their place in the landscape and the mindscape of people both then and now.
I’m an Associate Professor and University Lecturer and have been the Academic Head of Department at Gotland University since 2008 and have affiliations as Adjunct Professor at The National University of Samoa since 2011 and Honorary Fellow at The Australian National University 2015
To see more about my research and maybe download some of my articles:
- Doctoral degree 1994 in Archaeology (Pacific Archaeology), Thesis Title: Ahu – Ceremonial Stone Structures on Easter Island Uppsala University supervisor Professor Bo Gräslund.
- Master degree 1986, Major: Archaeology, Minors: Osteology, Art History and Geosciences from Uppsala and Stockholm Universities. BA/Honors Thesis: Cremated bones from The Iron Age Grave field of Gribbylund Täby.The Stone Age of Åland,
- Titles and Academic Affiliations
- Associate Professor in Uppsala (2008),
- Adjunct Professor National University of Samoa (2011).
- Honorary Fellow at Australian National University (2015)
- 2013 (1/7 - ongoing) Senior Lecturer (with Tenure), Uppsala University, Department of Archaeology and Ancient History
- 2008(1/9)-2013 (30/6). Senior Lecturer, Gotland University, Department of Archaeology and Osteology (with Tenure).
- 2006 (1/1)-2008 (31/7) Deputy Senior Lecturer (50%), Gotland University, Department of Archaeology and Osteology Chief Curator and
- 1997 (1/1) -2007 (31/7) Associate Professor, Chief Curator and Researcher. The Kon-Tiki Museum Institute for Pacific Archaeology and Cultural History (11.09.00-01.06.01 parental leave)
- 1992 (1/1) – 1994 (1/6) Doctoral Fellow at Uppsala University.
- 1981-1986 (all together 3 years during these years). Assisting Archaeologist and Field Director at the Museum of Åland, Finland (Museibyrån).
- Program director (developer of program) the International Archaeology Program at Gotland University.
- Academic Head (Ämnesansvarig) Department of Archaeology Gotland University 2008-2010, 2012-2013.
- Academic Head (Ämnesansvarig), Department of Archaeology and Ancient History Campus Gotland Uppsala University 2013-2014.
- Latin American antiquity, vol. 27, ss. 169-183 DOI
- Download fulltext
- Download fulltext
- Monuments and people in the Pacific, Uppsala: Uppsala University, Department of Archaeology and Ancient History. ss. 317-342 Download fulltext
Analysis of late mid-Neolithic pottery illuminates the presenceof a Corded Ware Culture on the Baltic Island of Gotland.(2015). Documenta Praehistoria, Ljubljana: Ljubljana University Press. vol. 42, ss. 297-310 DOI Download fulltext